All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Crackle Paint Frames

I found this crackle paint tutorial on Pintrest a while back and I finally had a chance to try it. The great thing about living with an artist is that I have an endless supply of paint and brushes to use at my disposal. I have to admit I was very skeptical about using basic elmer's glue to make a crackle finish. I didn't have the old school white version but I did have some clear Elmer's gel glue and it worked great.


I crackled several unfinished wood frames I purchased at Michael's for $1.00 each. The below frame was inspired by one of my favorite movies "The Help". There is an awesome line that Aibileen says to Mae Mobley...
 "You is kind. You is Smart. You is Important".


I wanted this frame to have a beachy drift wood apearence. I started off with a base coat of a golden brown, then the glue and then a coat of turquoise. I also dry brushed layers of white, gray and greens to mimic the colors of the ocean. After the paint dried I used my hand sander to give the frame a worn look. I printed the quote on scrapbook paper and cut it to fit the frame insert. The frame still didn't feel finished so I added a little white bird and a wire handle. 

 

The below frame was made with a base coat of black, glue and then white. I then dry brushed turquoise over the top and used my hand sander to give the frame a worn distressed look. 


I added a photo of Alex & Bentley walking on the beach in Carmel. 


I also covered the frame insert with scrapbook paper. I know that no one see's the back but I like things to have a completed look. 


I hope this inspires you to try something new.

(I forgot to mention that I added a coat of mod podge to both frames to protect and seal the paint.)

No comments:

Post a Comment