All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Fabric Covered Storage Bin


If there is one thing I love more than crafting it's being organized. Almost every night before bed Alex reads his In Touch magazine. If you are unfamiliar with the magazine it's published and distributed by Charles Stanley In Touch Ministries, it's basically a christian readers digest full of stories and daily devotionals. 

Anyways...Alex has a pile on his nightstand that constantly fall all over the floor and I can't stand clutter next to the bed. His nightstand is very small and narrow with no drawers but it does have a small shelf at the bottom. For a while now I've been looking for a storage bin to hold all his magazines. I got lucky at the dollar store and scored the below bin for a $1. The bin it self isn't very attractive but it's nothing that a little fabric and hot glue can't fix.





I found this awesome retro inspired car print at Hancock's fabrics in a duck canvas. It wasn't on sale, but it was too cute to pass up. I purchased a half a yard to be on the safe side and I also had a 50% off coupon. I love my coupon's...especially on craft stuff. 

I decided to trace the shape of the bin onto the backside of my fabric with pencil. I then folded my fabric in half and cut out two pieces. One for the inside of the bin and one for the out side. I then took my iron and pressed a small hem around the entire strip of both pieces fabric, once the hem was complete I started hot glueing. This was not difficult, just time consuming and I had to be careful not to burn my self.



I think it took me about 30 to 45 mins to complete the inside and outside. I also had some leftover fabric that I hot glued to the bottom and I used a piece of black felt to cover the insert that fits into the bottom of the bin.




The magazines fit perfectly inside the bin and it looks neat and tidy at the bottom of Alex's nightstand. I can't show you the nigh stand right now because it's under construction. I can't wait to show you his nigh stand....I'm decoupaging it with a roll of vintage inspired newspaper wrapping paper. 


Overall this project was very easy and inexpensive. I plan on making more of these in the future.

Kc Jo

xoxo



2 comments:

  1. Love it, I saw those storage bins at the dollar store but didn't like the look. You think much more out of the box and saw a project. I may have to try your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lena. Please send me a picture if you decide to make one.

    ReplyDelete