All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Bentley Inspired pillow covers


Hi there...I know I'm slipping, but it's for a good reason. I've had my hands in so many projects that I've been neglecting my blog. I've got at least 3 more projects on the back burner that are almost done and I can't wait to share them with you.

My latest obsession for some reason has been "pillows". I do this a lot, I get hooked on something and I can't get away from it. I really had no intention of actually making any pillow covers but I found some of the cutest fabric I have ever seen...Vintage Typewriters, Colorful Cruiser Bikes & Grey Chevron. I know most people would not put these 3 fabrics together, but I'm not most people. I like to call it "colorful chaos"... some how it all just works together. 

I decided that our boring black office futon needed a little more personality. The walls in office are covered with Alex's art work and I wanted some fun pillows to compliment what we already have in the room. 

These are the fabrics I used for my pillow covers. Originally I only planned on making 4 pillow covers, but after getting my fabric home I realized I needed some solid colored fabric to break up all the patterns. I purchased the top 3 fabric's from Beverly's and the bottom 3 from Joanne's.

I made the printed pillow covers first reusing the existing pillow forms that came with the futon. I also had some other old pillows that I repurposed for this project. When I started to make the solid colored pillow covers I realized they were too plain and needed to be jazzed up. A long time ago I saw the cutest dog silhouette applique pillow and I decided that Bentley would be the main "Inspiration" for this project. Lucky for me Alex had created a silhouette for me of Bentley for another project.




This is the aftermath of my craft mess. I printed out Bentley's silhouette on scrapbook paper, but you could also use heavy card stock. I cut it out and used it as a template that I placed on top of my chevron fabric and the Steam-A-Seam.  This is an awesome product and I love the fact that it's sticky on both sides and that really helps when your trying to get everything to stay in one place before you iron it. Once you iron the layers together they are permanently adhered to the fabric. I also decided to top stitch the Bentley pillow cover to give it a more finished look. This was my first time doing this so my stitches are not that straight.

I used some rubber stamps and fabric markers to create the yellow pillow cover. I love all those "Keep Calm" posters that are really popular right now and thought it would fun to add that to the fabric. Typography inspired home furnishings are also really hot right now and I know I would have to pay a pretty penny for something similar online. I did take some precautions with a scrap piece of fabric, testing out how much ink I needed to color on the stamps and what direction the stamps should be placed. I bought the stamps at a garage sale about a year ago for $6 and I am so glad I finally found a use for them.

The orange pillow was an enigma, after the first 6 pillow covers I was burnt out and running out of ideas. This was the 7th pillow cover I had made in 48 hours and I was over it. I decided that because of the bold color it needed to be simple but stand out. I made a ruffle using a scrap piece of fabric. This is my first ruffle ever, I am so proud of myself.
These are finished pillow covers. Too cute!
This is the back of the pillows covers. I made a simple envelope pillow cover and there are tons of tutorial's online if your not sure how to make one. 
Bentley aproves of the new pillows and has already used them several times for a puppy nap.
I can't believe how much a little pop of color really changes things. 
"Keep Calm and LOVE the Dog"


I am so happy with the end result and I love going to the office and admiring my work. I hope this inspires you to create something.

Big Hugs
Kc Jo
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hey KACY!! Its Meena, I am sooo excited about your blog. You are def a craft queen. I had so much fun doing crafts with you back in the day. I still have that diva pillow you made me. Keep it up! I love you

    ReplyDelete