All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Vintage Typewriter table makeover


I feel a little behind since this is my first blog post of 2013. A year or so ago Alex and I purchased this Typewriter table from an estate sale. I spotted it with my eagle eye under a pile of junk in a garage. It was just calling my name and I had to have it. The original plan was to use it as a nightstand in our bedroom, but after bringing it home I realized the space I have is too small and it wasn't going to work.



So the next step was to make it so pretty that somebody would buy it from me.The table sat untouched in our garage for 6 months, until I discovered chalk paint. I was on Sutter Street in old Folsom and discovered Annie Sloan chalk paint in a store called  Not Too Shabby. The store was filled with all kinds of furniture and accessories that had been painted with the chalk paint and I was inspired. I decided to buy a tester pot of the "Provence"...a turquoise like color. I wasn't really sure what I was doing so I did my usual research online and found all kinds of videos and tips on how to work with chalk paint.

I have to admit I was very nervous about painting this table because it was metal and I had never used chalk paint. Alex was kind enough to help me paint the table. The coolest is thing about chalk paint is that you do not have to do any prep work (no sanding or primer) on whatever you are going to paint.

Below are some pics of the painting process...

We figured out that the paint application went on smoother when we added a little bit of water to the chalk paint, otherwise it was just too thick.

Alex painting the drawer. In this picture you can see that the paint looks thin and streaky. The entire thing looked like this after the first coat of paint.
All done with 2 coats of paint and I felt like it looked too perfect for it's age. So I decided to distress some of the areas of the table to give it a worn look.
I am so happy with the final results. I think the distressed areas give it so much character.
The finished table.

We had so much fun doing this project and I would definitely use chalk paint again. I am also happy to report that this pretty little table has found a new home. 

I hope this inspires you to get out there and paint something!

Big Hugs

KC
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment