All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Antibes Green Vintage Telephone Table: Before & After


Have you ever been driving down the road and out of the corner of your eye you spotted something and you had to go back for a closer look? I have and that's exactly what happened to me with this table. 

I was on the last leg of an epic day of garage selling and as I drove by a house on my way home, I noticed this table sitting by its self in the grass. I immediately approached the owner and made a deal to take the table off his hands for $6. 



I don't know what it was but something about the table just spoke to me. Like most of the things I buy I had no idea how I would refinish this table, until I discovered Antibes Green Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. This color is so dreamy and as soon as I saw it, I thought it would compliment the tables whimsical style. 

I tried to take as many pictures of the transformation as possible, this is something I am still working on. I just get so excited to paint and I totally forget about taking pictures.

This is the table after 2 coats of Antibes Green, if you look closely you can see that some areas are streaky. This is normal for chalk paint because it has a natural opacity to it. I thought getting the 2 coats of paint on would never end, there were so many nooks & crannies and I'm kind of a perfectionist. 


After applying the 2 coats of paint I decided to try my hand with a new technique. I've been very brave lately and trying lots of new things.  I loved the color, but lets face it this is green on CRACK....way too bright!! I needed to find a way to tone down the color. I bought a container of Valspar Antiquing Glaze from Lowes. I wasn't really sure what I was doing and I found a great tutorial online at "All Things Thrifty".  

I decided to cover my kitchen table with a drop cloth because the lighting was better. I used a foam paint brush to apply the glaze to the table and a damp rag to remove the excess. I discovered that the magic number was 8-10 minutes to let the glaze sit before wiping it off. I warn you this was time consuming, but totally worth it. I went over the entire table once and then in some areas I repeated the steps again. I really payed close attention to the corners and ridges on the spindles because I wanted the glaze to highlight the tables shape. I let the glaze dry for several days and then I sprayed it with a coat of clear varnish to protect the paint.
Here are some pictures of the finished table. It turned out even better than I imagined. The glaze really gave it an aged look and accentuated all of the tables curves. For some reason this table makes me think of Alice in Wonderland.
This is the table in action, and I haven't decided if I am going to keep it. I added a white wicker basket to the shelf for extra storage and the magazine holder on the side is perfect for all my favorite magazines. Surprisingly it goes with the decor in my living room and for some reason the green really works with my pink lamp shades. 


If you think this is wild, stay tuned. I'm working on another table with Barcelona Orange and it's going to be Amazing!
Thank you for visiting my blog.
Kc Jo
xoxo


6 comments:

  1. I love this table! Oh my goodness, it's so vintagey cute and that color is perfect for it. You should restore pieces and sell them as a biz...good job lady! -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, Thank you so much. You just made my day.

      Delete
  2. It's very cute. I am painting a round end table in this colour and googled to get some ideas and found you!! Thanks for sharing!

    Kathryn @ www.uglyducklingtransformations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Kathryn...Thank you for the sweet comment. When your done with your table I'd love to see it.

      Delete
  3. Do you know much about this piece? Who made it? Does yours have a mark? Mine is closed in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't have any info on the maker of this piece. I sold this piece back in 2013.

      Delete