All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

DIY Burlap Cork board


Last weekend we were in Hobby Lobby picking up some art supplies and I had no intention of buying anything else until I spotted the coolest burlap I have ever seen. I realized I had an extra 40% coupon and decided to purchase a yard to cover a cork board in our office. 

I've done several cork board projects, but never with burlap. I have to say this was the easiest project I have done in a long time. I think it might have taken 30-45 minutes. 

I apologize that the quality of the step by step photos are not that good. Our camera decided to suddenly stop working and I was forced to use my cell phone. 

This is the burlap. I love how all the different fonts and how they overlap eachother. This is nice because I can hang the cork board vertically & horizontally.
This is what the  23x35 cork board looked like before I did anything. First I took it outside and sprayed a generous layer of spray adhesive all over the cork and the frame. I then placed it faced down on the burlap and then turned it over and smoothed out all the wrinkles with glove covered hands...Spray adhesive can be very sticky & messy. 
After I smoothed the burlap over the front of the cork board, I decided to secure the burlap to the back of the cork board using a staple gun. I made sure I had enough free edge on the burlap so it could be folded over once and then over the edge of the frame, so I didn't have to worry about the burlap unraveling. 
I pulled the burlap tight and stapled it directly to the cardboard backing at the edge of the frame.
I stapled the longer sides of the cork board first.
I then focused my attention to the shorter ends of the cork boards. 
I started stapling in the middle and worked my way out to the edges.
I left a significant amount of burlap on the corners and used a scissor to trim  the excess.  Once I cut off  the extra burlap I tucked the burlap under and stapled it in place. I repeated this step on all four corners.
This is a picture of the back of the cork board after I finished stapling. I did go back and added a few more staples to make sure everything was secure. 
This is the finished cork board hung up above Alex's drawing desk.
 If you do a similar project you might want to leave the cork board in your garage or outside for a few days  before you hang it up. The combination of the burlap & the spray adhesive smelled horrible. Thankfully our weather has been nice lately and I just left a window open in our office to air it out.
This is cork board in use. We are constantly rotating and changing the pictures according to the projects Alex is working on. You can never have enough artistic inspiration. I love the black n' white photo of Alex's grandmother  aka "The Goose". This is an actual head shot photo she used for her acting career.
I hope this inspires you!









No comments:

Post a Comment