All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

DIY Maxi Skirt


Several Months ago I found a super cute Maxi Skirt tutorial  on Pinterest and I have been wanting to make one.

I was in Hancock's fabric the other night, just killing time and scoping out the new spring/summer fabric selections. I always make it a habit to check the remnant fabric bin, and to my great surprise I found something awesome! I found almost 2 yards of this super cute white & silver ruffled fabric and it was only $2.00. Woohoo..this was a steal because I checked the store and found out this was a new fabric and originally priced at $12.00 a yard. I figured someone probably bought it and changed their mind and returned it. I also found another great remnant for about the same price that I am saving for another project. The only other thing I needed to buy was some elastic for the waste band. I chose a wider width elastic (2 inch) because it seemed like it might not roll over as much and easier to work with.



I did not take a lot of pictures of the construction process because to be honest, I was so focused on not messing up I forgot. :)

During this project I stopped multiple times to review the above tutorial I mentioned and several others for reference because I really didn't know what I was doing. It's just a skirt, but I'm kind of a perfectionist and I always like to do a lot of research. Here is a list of some other great skirt tutorials.

1. Make it & Love it
2.The how to gal
3. V and CO.

To figure out how full I wanted my skirt, I wrapped the fabric around my waste and used a pin to mark the spot. I then folded the fabric and trimmed the excess off and then pinned the two sides together. The one thing I will mention about this fabric is that you have to make sure that the ruffles are flat when you do this, otherwise they might get sewn going every which way.
This is the finished skirt. I think the hardest part was the waste band. For some reason I kept messing up when I was pinning it and had to redo it several times. 
I know what your'e thinking... "White"! I know I'm just asking for something red to be splashed all over it.  LOL
My sewing on the waste band is straight for the most part, but it is a little wonky in some parts.  Overall I am very happy with the end result. The best part is the waste band will be covered up by my top.
I also wanted to show that the fabric isn't as see through as it apears. I tried it on in my house and I  couldn't see anthing. But I might have to wear a slip or I could always sew a lining if I really wanted to. This fabric is super light weight and has a little but of stretch.
I was thinking this skirt would be super cute, paired with a bright tank, Chambray shirt, wedge sandals, chunky jewelry and some cool shades. I am so glad spring is here.




2 comments:

  1. Adorable! And this is perfect because my older sis and I were JUST talking about how we want to make Maxi skirts for the summer! You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the support. You would look so cute in a skirt like this.

    ReplyDelete