All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

All you need is LOVE...and a DOG.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Handmade Wedding: Part 3


Yeah... it's finally time to show you all the awesome things that I made for my wedding and little things that you could easily recreate for your own wedding or special event. I also bought some stuff off Etsy and found some cool freebies on Pinterest.


{My Bouquet}

The first thing that I decided I wanted to make was my bouquet. Initially my plan was to make a  beautiful brooch bouquet, but after pricing all of the supplies it was too expensive. I then decided to make a fabric flower bouquet. It wasn't hard just time consuming. I bought several pieces of fabric that matched our color palette and got to work.

I didn't want all the flowers to be the same, so I looked up several tutorials and played with the shapes and embellishments. I made about 20 flowers and hot glued wire to the bottom of each flower to create the stem. I purchased an inexpensive bouquet holder and a small bundle of fake white roses to act as a base to make the bouquet more full. I used white floral tape to hold all the flowers together.

I also decided to add extra layer of shimmer tule to the holder for a little more sparkle. I just simply pinned it and then hot glued it in place. Once the bouquet pieces were finished I put them all together and hot glued the holder to the bottom of the bouguet. I then hot glued more fabric to the underneath side and a pretty trim to the handle. I then finished off my bouquet with a hand made "I do" charm and burlap twine. I think the total cost for this project was around $30 to $40 and the best part is that it will last forever!

{ here's a great fabric flower tutorial by rhonna designs}


{Bouquet Charm & Boutonniere}

I used this AWESOME product...Demensional Magic to create the two charms below. The "I do" charm I made for or my bouquet and the other is Alex's boutonniere. 

This was so much fun to make. I bought some charm pendants at hobby lobby and cut scrap book paper to fit and then secured it in place with a little bit of Mod Podge. I then added the (i do & me too) stickers from a Jim Holtz idea-ology Chitchat booklet I bought at Hobby Lobby. The booklet comes with 1088 stickers that you can use to from phrases and all kinds of sayings. Once I placed the stickers and key charm where I wanted them I then filled in the charm with the Dimensional Magic.

Be careful when doing this because air bubbles can appear in the finished piece if you rush this process. Once the charm is filled in you just let it dry for 24hrs. The next day I had to add a little extra to give the charms a more full rounded apearence. I then added the heart locket charm to the "i do" pendant and the ribbon to the top of Alex's boutonniere. I am in love with how they turned out and I think it just added a very meaningful and sweet touch to our special day.


{Bentley's Bow Tie & Leash}

Before Alex & I decided on where we would get married I always knew that Bentley would be part of our special day. I found so many great dog inspired wedding ideas it was hard to decide on what he should wear.

I found a great upcycled dog collar tutorial on Sew Doggystyle that I used to modify one of Alex's old work shirts. I made Bentley's bow tie with some fabric I bought at Joanne's. I also made the dog leash that I'm holding in the picture below, because I'm all about color coordinating. If I had tried to go out and buy this stuff it could have easily cost me over $100 or more. I think I spent about $15 for all of the supplies and maybe and hour or so of my time.


I kinda winged it on the dog leash. I looked up some DIY dog leashes online, but there wasn't really anything solid I could follow to the T. So I bought the corded rope & snap hook at Joanne's and I used Mod Podge to seal the ends of the rope from unraveling. I also bought some rope clamps from the hardware store to secure the leash handle and snap hook in place. 

The end a result is a totally functional one of a kind dog leash that matched our wedding!


{The Wedding Cake & Pinterest Freebies}

Initially I didn't plan on a wedding cake because it was just me & Alex and I also have to do gluten free. At the last minute I decided I really wanted us to have the experience of having some kind of cake to celebrate. I found the most yummy Chocolate Gluten Free Cupcakes at Trader Joe's with buttercream frosting...to die for!!!


I decided to dress them up with some free printables I found on Pinterest. Some cupcake flags from The elli Blog and I used the pattern I found on 52 Kitchen Adventures to create my own cupcake wraps.  This stuff cost me nothing because I had all supplies at home. The cupcakes looked fabulous and tasted even better.

{Etsy}

I only purchased one thing on Etsy our "wedding bands". I had spotted them months before we decided to do this and I showed Alex and he said he really liked them. Neither one of us wanted anything super over the top, we just wanted something special we could exchange with each other.

Our rings were made by Ash Hilton out of New Zealand. This was the most nerve racking purchase I have ever made online. Laurel, Ash's wife was so understanding that she helped me purchase the additional insurance/tracking I needed to make sure we got our rings on time. The rings turned out even more beautiful in person and because we got married in Tahoe the pine tree engraving really made sense. 


Something really cool I realized about a week or so after we got married when I was looking at our rings, I noticed that my ring had 4 pine tree engravings and Al's had 6. The interesting part about this is we were engaged for almost 4 years and together for almost 6...it was fate that these are our wedding bands. I love our rings and we get lots of compliments on them.

If you're not as crafty or don't have the time Etsy would be a great place to buy those one of kind handmade things to add a special touch to your big day. I have purchased sevaeral things from Etsy and have never had a bad experience.

{The Missing Piece to puzzle}

While I was planning our wedding, I was constantly on the lookout for cool and unusual wedding photo ideas. I kept seeing rings being displayed in these really cool wooden boxes. When Alex & I first started dating again he pulled out a box of old things and inside it was this box. A puzzle box that I bought him as a gift over 15 years ago when we were friends back in highschool. I was shocked that he had kept it all these years and I decided it had to be in the wedding pictures. 


I thought about making a ring box, but I'm glad I didn't. I think sometimes when people get married they always focus on buying all this new stuff. Sometimes it helps to sit back and think...what do I already have that I reuse and that actually means something to me? This box was a perfect example of a hidden treasure I almost forgot about.

{A Special Thank You}

I haven't gotten our professional wedding pictures back yet, but as soon as I do I will share them. They are gorgeous...thanks to our friend Adam Furtado who was gracious enough to meet us in Lake Tahoe. Along with our other friend Yeshua and his wife Angel from Calvary Amador church who married us. It was a magical day and Alex & I feel so blessed to know people who were willing to go out of their way to make our special day happen.


{The most important thing I learned}

HAVE FUN!!!! This is your wedding and your big day... make sure you have fun and do it the way you want! Something I really wanted was a fun picture of me & Alex in these matching shades. It's not the best quality picture but I think my face says it all.


Thank you for stopping by and going on a journey with me through my Handmade Wedding. I hope you find a project that inspires you. If anyone has any questions about anything please feel free to leave a comment or email me.






No comments:

Post a Comment